March 13, 2017
To evaluate your preparedness and potential for success in the Nursing@Simmons program, we need to understand your academic background, clinical experience, and personal strengths and interests.
The Nursing@Simmons application requires applicants to have or submit the following:
- Current U.S. Registered Nurse (RN) license.
- A diploma or certificate from a hospital based program, or an associates degree.
- Current résumé (see below).
- One- to two-page personal statement (see below).
- Transcript(s) of your academic record (see below).
- Three letters of recommendation (see below).
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), if your native language is not English. The School of Nursing and Health Sciences TOEFL code is 3761.
Your résumé should include:
- Educational background including institutions, degree(s) awarded, degree(s) in progress, dates of degree(s) awarded, and/or anticipated date of receiving degree(s).
- Relevant employment history, including:
- Job title (including unit), job description, and relevant duties performed.
- Employment dates of each position.
- Community service or volunteer experience.
- Any awards, publications, presentations, and memberships.
- Evidence of leadership and career progression.
You must submit a one- to two-page essay discussing the following:
- Your career goals.
- How your specific clinical experiences have prepared you for the Family Nurse Practitioner role.
- Why Nursing@Simmons is the best fit for you and how the program will assist you in reaching your professional and educational goals.
Sealed official academic transcripts must be received by mail from all postsecondary institutions you have attended, even if a degree was not obtained, including community colleges.
Many schools issue transcripts electronically, either through their own web services or through vendors. If this option is available through the institutions you attended, please specify that your transcript(s) be sent to Application Services or select Simmons College – Nursing@Simmons if listed as an option through the vendor. This will expedite the delivery of your transcript(s) and the completion of your application.
All coursework from non-U.S. institutions must be evaluated by World Education Services, International Education Research Foundation, Education Credential Evaluation, or AACRAO International Education Services. Please allot additional time in the application process to have your transcripts evaluated by these organizations.
Please have official transcripts and other official application materials mailed to:
Application Processing Services
7900 Harkins Road, Suite 501
Lanham, MD 20706
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required, and all must be written within one year of the date of submission. Letters must be submitted by the following recommenders:
- A current clinical supervisor or nurse manager who has direct knowledge of your skills in the clinical setting and how they will translate into the Family Nurse Practitioner role.
- A professor, faculty member, or academic advisor who can provide a meaningful assessment of your academic record. If you have been out of school for five years or more, a nurse educator or clinical instructor can be supplemented for the academic recommendation.
- A practicing clinical nursing professional, or APRN, who has served as a mentor and can speak about your abilities as a nurse and your potential to become a Family Nurse Practitioner.
NOTE: Nursing@Simmons is in the process of receiving approval from some states. Please call 1-855-461-7466 to determine the program’s status in your state.
Request more information about Nursing@Simmons, or speak with an Admissions Counselor at 1-855-461-7466.