Nursing@Simmons students benefit from a blend of online classroom learning and hands-on learning that puts academic knowledge to work. Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences (SNHS) faculty members and the Nursing@Simmons placement team assist our students in identifying preceptors and clinical sites that best fit their location and area of clinical interest. In all cases, clinical placements reflect the high standards set forth by the SNHS in preparing students for nursing careers through direct experiential opportunities.
Download our clinical placement information sheet.
Nursing@Simmons preceptors share their knowledge and experience with students in clinical settings, strengthening their academic foundation and guiding their practical understanding of patient care. Preceptors are highly skilled in their areas of specialization and are dedicated to the effective transfer of that knowledge to each student.
Your clinical preceptor will:
- Help you meet the clinical objectives and develop a plan of action to achieve them.
- Assign patients who are consistent with your level of knowledge and experience.
- Supervise patient health assessments, incorporating their medical history.
- Discuss patient needs and provide guidance in developing plans for treatment.
- Oversee treatment and health management that is consistent with diagnoses.
- Identify areas of strength and areas in your learning that may need improvement.
- Challenge you to grow as a clinical expert, scholar, and leader.
- Provide recommendations for professional placement.